Jump-start your Puppet deployment using engaging and practical recipes
About This Book
- Quickly grasp recipes that work with centralized and decentralized deployments
- Explore language differences and enhancements anticipated in Puppet version 4
- Gain expert understanding of Puppet’s latest and most advanced features
- Step-by-step detailed recipes that help you take control of your servers and desktops
Who This Book Is For
This book is for anyone who builds and administers servers, especially in a web operations context. It requires some experience of Linux systems administration, including familiarity with the command line, file system, and text editing. No programming experience is required.
What You Will Learn
- Install and set up Puppet for the first time
- Discover the latest, most advanced, and experimental features of Puppet
- Bootstrap your Puppet installation
- Master techniques to deal with centralized and decentralized Puppet deployments
- Use exported resources and forge modules
- Create efficient manifests to streamline your deployments
- Automate Puppet master deployment using Git hooks, r10k, and PuppetDB
- Make Puppet reliable, performant, and scalable
Puppet is a configuration management system that automates all your IT configurations, giving you control of what you do to each node, when you do it, and how you do it.
Puppet Cookbook Third Edition takes the reader from a basic knowledge of Puppet to a complete and expert understanding of Puppet’s latest and most advanced features. Updated with the latest advancements and best practices, it gives you a clear view on how to “connect the dots” and expands your knowledge to successfully use and extend Puppet.
This book delves into various aspects of writing good Puppet code, which includes using Puppet community style, checking your manifests with puppet-lint, and learning community best practices, with an emphasis on real-world implementation.